There are many different causes and contributing factors of knee pain.
Pain maybe felt at the front of the knee around the kneecap, over either side of the knee, at the back or all around the whole knee.
Depending on the cause of the knee pain other symptoms that may be present include swelling, giving way or locking.
A thorough and clear verbal and physical assessment is vital in making the correct diagnosis.
Common causes of knee pain include:
- Ligament Injuries
- Cartilage Injuries / Degeneration (wear and tear)
- Maltracking Patella (poorly aligned knee cap)
- Patella Tendon Problems
- Muscle Weakness
Methods of Treatment:
- Muscle Strengthening / Stretching exercises
- Patella Taping
- Specific Knee Joint Mobilisations
- Ultrasound Therapy
- Foot Biomechanics Advice (altered foot position ie. flat feet, may require shoe orthotics / support inserts)